Volunteers are active in sailing instruction, public information and in helping sailors with disabilities to board and disembark from our fleet of specially designed Martin 16 sailboats.
All volunteers are encouraged to participate in DSA’s sailing activities and administrative tasks. Volunteers contribute in their own capacities, gaining the confidence and motivation to expand their knowledge, try new experiences and get support at the same time from their friends.
DSA Volunteer Positions
Applicants must possess excellent communication skills and an ability to maintain confidentiality. They must be willing to participate in DSA’s screening measures, including an interview, reference checks, and police records checks. Our sailing companion volunteers need to have required certification or need to complete a certification test by DSA staff.
- Daily upkeep of sail boats (no sailing experience required)
- Rigging of sail boats
- Help with getting our participants into the boats out on the water and back onto land
- Must be a qualified sailor and will be passed by our head instructor
- Take our participants on sails
- Use a two-way radio
- Know water safety
- Upkeep of equipment
- Winterization of the boats at the end of the sailing season.
- Special events
- Help with Regattas, children’s events, special barbeques, community displays
- COVID-19 Volunteer Safe Plan Please review our safety plan
Interested in volunteering? Contact our volunteer coordinator, Sheryl Newman.